You’ve seen all of the cute photos from your friends’ maternity sessions, and now you have the desire to do your own maternity photoshoot. But have you ever wondered what is involved in a maternity portrait session?
You’re in luck, because we’re a maternity photography studio who will tell you all you need to know! Read on for our list of everything to expect during a maternity portrait session. Maybe a question that you’ve been dying to ask is already on the list!
1. What is maternity photography?
Maternity photography captures the essence of this unique season of your life and your baby’s life. The pictures that we take during a maternity session are family keepsakes that you can show off in elegant products in your home such as a portfolio box or heirloom album, gorgeous wall art, or more!
We promise that you WILL want to share your maternity photos with your family and friends, because you’ll look amazing! When we take photos of you during your maternity session, we’ll dress you in beautiful maternity gowns. When you have a photoshoot with us, we’ll put you in the best poses to highlight your cute little baby bump, your pregnancy glow, and your empowering body. You’ll look absolutely gorgeous!
Do you realize how powerful you are? Right now, your body is in the process of producing a brand-new human being. You are beyond amazing, and we are honored to capture this incredible season in your life for posterity! With our premium photography service, we’ll make you look like a goddess because, with everything you are and everything you’re going to be to your child—his or her fabulous Mama—you deserve it.
And you deserve to let the entire family celebrate this season with you! If you like, we could also arrange for you to take some great pictures with your baby’s Daddy. If you’d like to take some maternity photos with your baby’s older siblings or your baby’s grandparents, we could arrange for that to happen, too! We love seeing the whole family get involved in a maternity photoshoot, because we know how special this time in your life is for all of you!
The settings for maternity photography can highlight how special your pregnancy is, too! One option that you’ll have with our studio is an outdoor session that can take place at a venue such as a botanical garden on a clear day. Since our studio has been doing outdoor maternity photography for years, we know the best places to take maternity photos in the DFW area such as the Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Garden or the Fort Worth Botanic Garden.
Can’t you just picture yourself in one of these gorgeous settings? We guarantee that you will look fantastic! To get an idea of what it would be like, check out this short video for a behind the scenes look at one of our photo sessions!
In-studio maternity sessions are also a wonderful experience, and those take place at our studio in Hickory Creek, Texas. If you’d like more information about the in-studio maternity photography that we do, check out this blog article!
I (Stephany) am also a milk bath maternity photographer, and the milk bath sessions take place inside our studio as well. If you’ve never heard of milk bath photography, it’s a fantastic photo trend! After dressing a Mama in a beautiful maternity dress, we’ll place her in a bath that we create with a mixture of milk and water. The mixture is decorated with flower petals, whole flowers, colored bath bombs, or fruits. It’s a unique way to celebrate motherhood! To learn more about milk bath photoshoots, check out this article.
Regardless of where maternity sessions take place, I always do my very best to make you look YOUR very best! If you’d like to see more about the fine art experience that our studio offers, check out this video.
2. Why take maternity photos?
Years from now, you’ll want to remember what it was like expecting your little bundle of joy, and you’ll want to remember that season with your entire family!
A collection of maternity photos can help your family track their history. As your beautiful baby grows up and begins to discover the world around him or her, you’ll want to show your child the amazing photos that we took during your maternity portrait session.
And let’s be honest—pregnancy isn’t always the most fun time in a woman’s life. But during a maternity photoshoot, you’ll look sexy, refined, and fabulous!
Think about it. During a photoshoot, you’ll be queen for a day! Everything that our studio does for maternity photography here in Fort Worth or Dallas is centered around YOU. You’ll be able to take a break from the physical demands of your pregnancy for a couple of hours while we dress you in the most exquisite and refined wardrobe. We’ll pose you in the best lighting for your beautiful smile, skin tone, and facial features—and we’ll just celebrate YOU!
Yes, you deserve this amazing experience, Mama! After your baby is born, your life will change dramatically as everything that you do will revolve around your child. You need some “you” time before your baby comes, and a professional photoshoot with a Dallas maternity photographer (our studio) will be the perfect way to do that.
3. Why hire a professional?
Professional portraits are much different than selfies, of course. When you hire a professional maternity photographer, you get the highest quality fine art products available to you—and then you get them delivered right to your door and installed on your walls. When your friends and relatives come for a visit, they won’t just see your house—they’ll see a gallery of your family’s life milestones! And the portraits on display will be the products that were painstakingly produced by a professional who is the best at her craft.
As a professional photographer, I (Stephany) am trained on how to use lighting, poses, sets, colors, wardrobe, and accessories to make you look stunning and gorgeous in photographs. During a maternity photoshoot in Dallas or Fort Worth, my top priority is to capture this unique time in your life as a Mama—and to feature YOU in some fabulous portraits!
Check out my maternity portfolio here to see the results of some of my previous sessions. Your maternity session could be that amazing, too!
Another wonderful thing about working with a professional photographer is that he or she is often an expert in more than one area of photography. I am not only a Dallas maternity photographer, but I’m also an award-winning milk bath maternity photographer (I do the types of photos that you read about earlier).
I’m also a newborn photographer. I love working with babies soon after they are born! I’m certified in newborn safety, and I have a knack for keeping babies calm during photoshoots, so your little bundle of joy will be in very good hands at our studio. I also do cake smash photography to celebrate children’s first birthdays, and I love being creative when I make the sets for those fun, messy sessions! It’s very rewarding for me to be a part of my clients’ lives and celebrate their important milestones with them.
So, whether you need maternity photography with siblings, family photography, or just about anything that you and your family will need to capture your special memories, I’ll be there for you. You won’t just get more for your time and money by using our professional photography services—you’ll get a trusted lifelong photographer who will be honored to share in every celebrated season of your life.
Our studio is a great lifetime resource! We know a lot about the photography and family needs of expectant mamas. (We even have a blog article on breastfeeding. You can check that out here!)
If you’d like to learn more about me, check out the “About” page on my website here. And if you’d like to contact me directly with any questions, click here. I’d love to meet with you and get to know about all of your photography needs!
4. When is the best time to schedule your maternity photoshoot? Or what is the best month to take maternity photos?
Those are probably the most-asked questions that I (Stephany) get asked as a Dallas maternity photographer!
I want to mention that every maternity photoshoot will be different, because every Mama is different. Besides the portrait session itself, it is important to consider any medical issues, family schedules, weather conditions, and other factors. So, we need to meet with you beforehand and help you pick the best date for your unique maternity photoshoot. All of our sessions are customized, so having this first consultation is of top importance so that we can get to know you and capture YOU in all of your photographs!
This first consultation is free, so there’s no risk involved at all. (Whenever you’re ready to schedule that consultation, click here!) With all of this in mind, we recommend that you schedule your maternity photoshoot at least two months before your due date.
Typically, the seventh month of pregnancy—between 32–34 weeks—is the ideal time to photograph this unique time in your life. This is due to practical reasons. If your maternity photoshoot takes place too early, your photographs probably wouldn’t have the same effect as they would if we were to do the session closer to your delivery date. On the other hand, if your session takes place too late in your pregnancy, you might not feel like actually doing the photoshoot at all.
You might already know this, but the last month of pregnancy is always the hardest. You’ll feel extra uncomfortable and extra exhausted. If you haven’t already been experiencing back pain, you probably will, and you’ll begin to tire more easily than before. So, if we wait too long to do your maternity photoshoot, you could miss out on everything that it could be.
But if you schedule your maternity portrait session during your next-to-the-last month of pregnancy, you’ll have enough energy for all of those poses that make you look sexy/gorgeous, and you’ll look amazing! If you do your maternity shoot with your partner, you two will have a lot more fun together than you would at the very end of your pregnancy! We promise you’ll have more energy and will be able to work with us better as we try different poses, wardrobe changes, and scenery changes with you.
Just know that we’ll do everything we can to keep you as comfortable as possible during your session, no matter when you decide to have it. (And you’ll have a much better time if you don’t wait until you’re too pregnant to pose for us!)
5. What should I wear for a maternity photoshoot?
You don’t have to worry about bringing any kind of special wardrobe to your maternity portrait session! As our client, you’ll have exclusive access to our collection of maternity couture gowns. We have a collection of nearly 100 couture maternity gowns and bodysuits, along with accessories, to choose from. This means that you’ll have lots of amazing, sexy, and exquisite outfits available to you.
We also offer an optional pampering package that gives you an opportunity to get your hair and makeup done at our studio before your photoshoot—just like a star! This way, you won’t have to worry about a thing; just let us pamper you like a diva! And we’ll be taking a great deal of pictures with tons of different poses and shots, so you’ll be able to wear more than one of our maternity couture gowns during your photoshoot.
Or, if you’d be comfortable doing some tasteful nude poses, we can arrange for those, too! We could also arrange for a combination of nude poses as well as some poses in maternity photography gowns during your photoshoot.
You can read more about our exclusive collection of maternity gowns in this article. Whether you’ll be doing an in-studio maternity session or an outdoor session, you deserve to look your very best, and we’ll give you the tools to do just that!
6. How long do maternity photos take?
In general, maternity sessions usually take about two hours. A photoshoot is an unrushed process because we want to make sure everything is paced just right for you, our client! We’ll be sure to give you plenty of time to rest and enjoy the process while we’re fitting you into our awesome collection of maternity couture gowns. Each change of gowns will have its own set of amazing maternity shoot poses (we’ll spend quite a bit of time posing you in different ways). If we’re doing your maternity photography in our studio, we may also try some maternity photography with props if we feel like that type of session will be a great fit for you.
Maternity photo session ideas often come to us in the moment, while we’re already in the process of photographing you, so be ready to roll with the inspiration when it hits. We promise that you’ll love the results! For ideas on how to look slim in maternity pictures, read on for our maternity pose guide!
7. What is the best way to take maternity pictures? (posing)
Embracing your new body is definitely not an easy thing. It seems like everything about you is changing, and you might not even be comfortable sharing photos of your expectant-Mama body with other people yet. But not to worry! Rest assured, every Mama struggles in learning how to love her new curves, so it’s normal to feel a little insecure. You are not alone!
I (Stephany) specialize in posing, so I will work with you to emphasize the beauty of pregnancy through your session. During your consultation, we’ll go over all of this and talk about the parts of your body that you're not as comfortable with. Don’t worry—I’ll pose you during your session so that you’ll look amazing in all of your maternity photos!
In fact, that’s the secret to getting perfect maternity photographs. It’s all in the posing! Here are a few of our favorite poses:
● Mama looking at and holding her baby bump
● Mama’s partner holding or kissing her baby bump
● Mama and the baby’s older siblings embracing one another
● Mama and her partner embracing or kissing each other
● Mama highlighting her baby bump with a prop
● Mama with a wind-blown look
● Mama outdoors in nature
● Mama’s silhouette
● Mama lying down
Our studio has years of experience in photographing expectant Mamas. We understand how to photograph each body type. We know the best outdoor maternity photography poses, and we’re very familiar with how to pose you in a way that achieves the most exquisite maternity photos! So, you can trust our expert knowledge and experience to guarantee that you’ll be very happy with your maternity photos.
8. How to take pregnancy bump photos?
In this part of our maternity posing guide, we’ll give you specific tips for a perfect, slimming look:
● Bending your leg close to the camera will give you a nice hip/booty shape and emphasize the roundness of your belly. This posing technique will also give a really nice look to your hips.
● Pushing your shoulder closer to camera, and down a bit, will eliminate any extra skin under your chin and create a beautiful shape on your chin.
● Try to arch your back to create that beautiful curve in the back.
● When you’re holding your belly, keep your fingers relaxed.
These are just a few tricks of the trade to help you get more out of your maternity portrait session. These details will help you reach your full photographic potential during your photoshoot!
9. How much does a maternity photoshoot cost?
Our booking fee for the maternity session is $200, and that price includes the following:
● Your pre-session design consultation (which is free!)
● Your pre-session consult/gown-fitting appointment
● Exclusive access to our collection of maternity couture gowns
● Your two-hour in-studio maternity session or outdoor session
● Professional editing/retouching
● Your reveal/ordering session
Since you’re paying for a professional photography service, that price will also include maternity session tips and maternity photography ideas from an expert. And those tips and ideas will be customized for your photoshoot specifically!
Once your session is complete, about two weeks later we will schedule a date for the reveal session. This is the most awaited part of the experience because we get to look at your beautiful images that we created. We will assist you in picking your favorite images and making those final decisions on the best way to preserve them. All of our packages are customizable for each client and pricing starts at $3400.
As a way of capturing the beautiful memories that you made during your photoshoot, we offer the following luxury products:
● Framed wall art
● Heirloom albums
● Modern acrylic art pieces
● Wood art pieces and wall collections
● Museum quality handmade canvases
● Keepsake portfolio boxes with museum quality fine art prints
These products are a way of helping you get more out of your portrait session—because you’ll want to use them to transform your home into a gallery that tells your family’s beautiful story. As your child grows up and sees himself or herself as that cute baby bump in your maternity photos, he or she will be very proud! Your baby will be impressed with how he or she has grown up—and with how gorgeous you were during your pregnancy! This is why you deserve to display your memories in high-quality products that will last for many years to come.
10. How often do you use maternity photo editing or retouching?
Editing or retouching is an essential part of photography. When you’re expecting a baby and your body goes through a lot of changes, you might be a little shy or cautious about displaying your body during a photoshoot. But no worries! Our editing/retouching process will make sure that you look absolutely flawless in your photos.
Some Mamas get more stretch marks, and they embrace them, while other Mamas don’t want those changes on their bodies to be seen. And that’s okay. If there’s something in your photographs that you don’t like there, we can remove it. This is something that we can discuss in the design consultation—remember that all of our sessions are customized! Your maternity portrait session will be all about YOU and your unique journey of expecting your baby.
Just remember that you and your family will enjoy the fabulous photos from your maternity photoshoot for years to come, and we want them to look as amazing as possible!
11. Would you recommend using any specific camera lenses or photographic effects?
Since we’re experts in this area, we know the best lenses to use for maternity photography. We always keep up with the latest technology for the sake of giving our clients the highest quality products. Every photographer has a different style, and maybe you’ll desire a different look for your photo session. But for me (Stephany), my favorite and go-to lenses for outdoor sessions are 85mm 1.4 and 70-200 2.8. I love to shoot with a wide-open aperture so that we can get that beautiful shallow depth of field.
For studio sessions, I prefer my 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.4, and 24-85 2.8. We usually use a smaller aperture for studio sessions, and the fixed lenses are beautiful for portraiture. This is why I know the tools of my trade well—to give my clients only the very best in maternity photography.
Regarding effects such as maternity silhouette camera settings, we feel that high key silhouettes are a beautiful way to emphasize a portrait. We use two (2) 14x60 strip boxes that are positioned towards a backdrop so that they can bounce off the light and create an overexposed background. That leaves the front of your model in shadow and a beautiful contrasting silhouette. We usually shoot with an aperture of f6 or above and an ISO 100 and shutter speed of 1/160. So, just know that you’re in great hands with our studio! We promise to deliver the most expertly produced portraits around.
12. Do you tip photographers for maternity pictures?
Since tipping is not a normal practice in the photography industry, tips are always welcome but not necessary. You can express your gratitude for a job well done however you like, of course, but a great way to say “thank you” is to refer us to your friends as a trusted photographer or write us 5 star review!
A Little Something Extra
We hope you can see how much our studio appreciates this special time in your life. Pregnancy isn’t easy, but it’s very unique, because you’ll only experience it with your child once! So, we’ve put together a little bit of extra inspiration here for you. Check out some of our favorite maternity photography quotes!
“You never understand life until it grows inside of you.”
—Sandra C. Kassis
“Sometimes, the smallest things take up the most room in your heart.”
“We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has
gone through to achieve that beauty.”
“Let us make pregnancy an occasion when we appreciate our female bodies.”
“I prayed for this child, and the Lord has granted me what I asked of him.”
—1 Samuel 1:27, NIV
The Ultimate Guide to Your Maternity Portrait Session: A Summary
We hope you’ve enjoyed our ultimate guide to your maternity portrait session. We love sharing maternity photography tips with our clients and potential clients! Following is a summary of the maternity photography tips and other information that we’ve shared in this article.
1. Defining maternity photography: It is a specific type of photography that features the unique time in which you were expecting your little bundle of joy.
2. Reasons to have a maternity photoshoot in Dallas or Fort Worth: You deserve it! Book a session with us and let us treat you like a queen for a day. Click here to schedule your design consultation.
3. Reasons to hire a professional photographer: A professional is an expert in making you look completely gorgeous in your maternity portrait! Our studio is expert in more than one area. We are honored to serve you throughout you and your baby’s life as a maternity photographer, milk bath maternity photographer, newborn photographer, cake smash photographer, and family photographer.
4. The best time (best month) to do maternity photography in Fort Worth or Dallas: Aim for at least two months before your due date (month #7 of pregnancy).
5. What to wear during a maternity photoshoot: As our client, you’ll have exclusive access to gorgeous maternity gowns from our couture collection. You’ll be able to choose from our studio’s exquisite, refined dresses that will help to bring out your full potential during your photoshoot. (Or, if you choose to do any tasteful nude poses, you won’t be wearing anything!)
6. The amount of time that a maternity photoshoot takes: Each session takes about two hours, give or take. This is because we don’t rush the photography process. We take our time and go at your pace as you change into different maternity gowns and try different poses with each gown. We’ll help you during every step of this process to ensure that you’re as comfortable as possible!
7. Maternity photography tips for posing: Since each of our maternity sessions is customized, we’ll work with you to pose you in the ways that will make you look your best. We’ll discuss details with you beforehand during your design consultation. (Click here to schedule your free design consultation!)
8. Maternity photography tips for baby bump photos: For a nice, slimming look during your session, bend your leg close to the camera, push your shoulder closer to camera and down a bit, arch your back, and relax your fingers when you’re holding your belly. But no need to remember all of this, we will guide you every step of the way.
9. The cost of a maternity photoshoot: Our booking fee for the maternity session is $200. That price includes the photoshoot itself, the design consultation, the gown-fitting appointment including exclusive gown access, the retouching/editing, and the reveal session. Products are ordered separately, and of course they each have their individual prices. Collection Pricing starts at $3400. Please check out this video to see some samples of our fine art prints, and also check out our maternity photography page for more detailed information. But the design consultation is free! Click here to schedule yours.
10. Why our studio uses photo editing or retouching to produce flawless photos: Editing/retouching comes standard with our professional services. We edit your photos to guarantee that your pictures will look just right. Just remember that all of our sessions are customized, so we can discuss more details during your design consultation.
11. Information about specific camera lenses and photographic effects: We know the tools of our trade well so that we can give our clients only the very best in maternity photography. I (Stephany) like to use 85mm 1.4 and 70-200 2.8 lenses for outdoor sessions, and I like to shoot with a wide-open aperture. I prefer using 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.4, and 24-85 2.8 lenses for studio sessions with a smaller aperture.
I also like to use high key silhouettes for a portrait using 14x60 strip boxes that are positioned towards a backdrop. I usually shoot with an aperture of f6 or more along with an ISO 100 and shutter speed of 1/160. I’m always keeping up with the latest technology so that I can create top quality products for my clients.
12. Tipping maternity photographers: Although tips are always welcome, please don’t worry about tipping us! Instead, we would love it if you would either write us a 5 star review or refer our studio to your friends and family. Just direct them to our contact page, and we’ll be very happy to meet them and work with them!
And don’t forget to click here to schedule your design consultation! We look forward to meeting you, too!